US drones fly near Iran, Syria over weekend

By John Stossel and John Stanton, Associated PressWashington — Drone images of Iran, Iraq, Syria and Yemen were taken on Saturday, a day after President Donald Trump’s surprise announcement that he would abandon the Paris climate accord and abandon the landmark nuclear deal.

The U.S. military has flown at least two dozen U.N. monitors into Yemen, where the government is struggling to contain a civil war that has killed more than 10,000 people and displaced hundreds of thousands more, and at least three times since March, according to U.

Ns. military spokesman Brig. Gen. Jeff Davis.

The United States, Iran and the Gulf Cooperation Council are among the countries that have authorized drone strikes in Yemen in recent weeks, according a U. Nations monitoring group.

Davis said the U.NS. experts have assessed the strikes and are working with Yemeni government officials and regional partners to determine their results.

U.N.-backed Yemen-based officials said the strikes had targeted “individuals or groups” but that the United States did not specify the specific locations.

The U.K.-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said that the strikes targeted a number of weapons caches and military equipment, and that U.n. experts also said they were striking a military facility and an airbase.

U,N.

Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Saturday condemned Trump’s decision to withdraw from the accord, saying it would “lead to a dangerous increase in violence and chaos, while eroding the foundation of regional security.”

Guterres called Trump’s announcement a “dangerous decision” that could “lead us into the same kinds of situations that have already occurred in the region.”

Trump had initially announced he would withdraw from a deal with Iran, Saudi Arabia and the UAE that had been in place since 2015.

The deal called for Iran to curb its nuclear program in exchange for relief from economic sanctions, but Trump had not given any indication he would abide by the terms.

The administration has since been working to revise the deal.

Trump has said the withdrawal from the pact will be permanent.

On Saturday, Davis said the drone strikes would continue as planned.

Davis said there was no indication the U.,N.

experts would continue to be involved in the missions, but added that the U,N.-led group is still investigating the incidents.

U.,N.-run monitors say there have been more than 60 drone strikes and attacks in Yemen since Trump’s withdrawal announcement.

The coalition has also conducted several airstrikes in Iraq since late March.